Dental veneers are thin sheaths made of composite resin or porcelain, customised in shape, texture and colour using smile design. The particular type of veneer used will depend entirely on a thorough analysis and assessment of your teeth. Veneers typically provide a new surface for the tooth, creating a whole new look for an individual tooth, several teeth or an entire smile.
In this section of our guide to dental veneers you will learn a lot more about what dental veneers are and in relation to some common questions such as:
- How long do veneers last?
- What are the benefits of dental veneers?
- Can you get veneers if you have gum disease?
The dental veneers procedure
We’d recommend consulting with your dentist first about whether a dental veneers treatment are a viable option for your teeth. They should go through with you:
- A general oral health check-up
- An overview of your history and predisposition to gum disease
- A discussion around costs, your budget, and what veneer type is suitable for your needs
- The confirmation that you are willing to practise good hygiene post-treatment and attend check-ups!
Related Reading: Types of dental veneers.
Here at Bespoke Smile our specialist dental services will involve an initial consultation with you to understand exactly why you’re choosing dental veneers; during this stage, we get to know you and take the time to find out your personal needs, whilst also carrying out an evaluation to decipher what we think will work best for you.
You will have a one-on-one meeting with a qualified member of our team, where you can discuss any concerns you have regarding your oral health, aesthetic goals and worries, dental anxieties or concerns about pain. We will then carry out a detailed analysis of your oral health, to ensure we do not need to carry out any additional procedures prior to fitting the veneers. We will assess your teeth, gums and bite, and complete a Cosmetic Smile Analysis, which will include scans and photographs to understand the full detail across all teeth.
At Bespoke Smile we use a 3 step journey for our patients looking for veneers:
1. Trial smile
So that our patients are 100% happy with their new smile before we apply the veneers, we will hand-design bespoke temporary teeth veneers or Trial Smile as we like to call them, created using composite resin for the teeth you wish to improve. We can also provide a gum lift and additional shaping using a pain-free laser. This is an extremely difficult procedure so only experts can provide it, and this additional benefit is one of the many reasons that make Bespoke Smile stand out among other dentists.
2. Bespoke choices and colour visit
This step gives you the opportunity to personalise your results. We will consider the shapes; symmetry, angles, feel, bite, and texture of the trial smile and decide on the bespoke features you would like to incorporate. We will also use this session to decide which colour suits you best!
3. Fitting visit
In the final stage, your Trial Smile will be removed and the permanent veneers will be fitted onto the teeth. We will also perform a comprehensive bite balancing to ensure the mouth is healthy and stable.
The benefits of dental veneers
Dental veneers are chosen due to their many benefits and work particularly well for individuals wanting to enhance their entire smile and improve the appearance of their teeth. Some key benefits of dental veneers include:
- Veneers can dramatically improve the appearance of teeth by addressing issues such as discolouration, stains, chips, cracks, gaps, and uneven tooth size or shape. They provide a natural-looking, symmetrical, and uniform smile.
- Veneers can be customised to meet individual needs, allowing for a wide range of cosmetic improvements and can be used to enhance a single tooth or transform an entire smile.
- Compared to some other dental treatments, veneer placement typically involves minimal removal of tooth enamel, preserving more of the natural tooth structure.
- Dental veneers, particularly those made from materials like porcelain or ceramic, are highly durable and resistant to stains and wear. With proper care, they can last for many years.
- Veneers closely resemble natural teeth in terms of colour, translucency, and texture. They can even be shade-matched to blend seamlessly with existing teeth, resulting in a natural and aesthetically pleasing smile.
- Veneer placement is a relatively swift process compared to other orthodontic treatments. In just a few dental visits, patients can achieve a transformed smile.
For every patient who visits the Bespoke Smile practice, we offer comprehensive consultations to give you the time you need to go through every aspect of your oral and dental health to achieve the desired outcomes. This includes full photography, x-rays, generous and advanced advice, treatment plans, and a full dental report.
How long do dental veneers last?
The lifespan of dental veneers will depend on varying factors. With proper care and maintenance, dental veneers, such as porcelain or composite veneers, can last between 10 and 15 years or even longer!
However, it’s important to note that individual habits and oral hygiene practices can influence the longevity of veneers. Regular brushing, flossing, and dental check-ups are crucial to maintaining the health of both the veneers and underlying teeth. Over time, natural wear and tear may occur, and veneers may require replacement or repair.
Follow these aftercare tips as a guide to extending the life of your veneers:
- Brush twice per day.
- Floss daily and use mouthwash.
- Avoid chewing on hard objects. This means avoiding tearing open packages with your teeth, nibbling on your nails, or teeth grinding.
- Visit the dentist bi-annually for teeth cleanings and routine check-ups.
- Make sure to use non-abrasive toothpaste.
- Wear a mouthguard while playing sports.
Understanding the costs of dental veneers
The cost of dental veneers can depend on the type of veneer material, the number of veneers needed, and the expertise of the dentist. Porcelain veneers, known for their durability and natural appearance, are typically more expensive compared to composite veneers. Additionally, the cost may increase if additional procedures, such as tooth preparation or gum contouring, are required.
Most people will find that the long-lasting and natural look of dental veneers makes them well worth the cost. If you’re looking for a single dental veneer or would like to transform your whole smile, we offer 0% finance plans to help you spread your payments for up to 24 months.
Dental veneers before and after
Replacing existing veneers?
If you’ve found yourself dissatisfied with veneers done by a previous dentist, we understand your frustration. Your smile should be a source of confidence and joy, and we’re here to make sure it is!
Choosing to replace your existing veneers can be a game-changer. Whether it’s an issue of aesthetics, durability, or discomfort, our experienced cosmetic dentistry team, led by Dr. Sam Jethwa, is here to guide you through the process.
Curious about what the process entails? Dr. Jethwa has prepared a comprehensive guide just for you. In his guide, he’ll walk you through everything you need to know about replacing veneers. From understanding the reasons for replacement to the step-by-step procedure, it’s your roadmap to a smile makeover.
Begin your journey to a more confident you today! Click below to access Dr. Sam Jethwa’s guide and start exploring the possibilities of replacing your existing veneers.
Patient Stories: See more happy smiles!
At Bespoke Smile, we don’t just create beautiful smiles we create stories worth sharing, and our patients’ journeys are the real stars of our practice. In this video playlist, you’ll get an idea of the journey out incredible patients went on to get their brand-new smile.
Our patients aren’t actors; they’re everyday people just like you, who decided to take a leap towards a brighter, more confident future. We believe in transparency, and that’s why we’re proud to showcase their genuine stories of transformation.