Gum Pigment Reduction
Last medically reviewed by Dr Sam Jethwa: March 31, 2021
Do you feel self-conscious of dark pigments in the gums?
Often caused by genetics, an excess of melanin can build up, which can lead gums to look black rather than pink.
As recommended cosmetic dentists, we understand the perception behind “pink gums are healthy gums”, but as recommended cosmetic dentists in the UK, we know that this is not necessarily true; dark pigmentation does not always indicate diseases or oral problems.
Call 01628 488 538
Make gums pink again!
Getting rid of pigmentation on gums with laser gum bleaching
So, what is gum bleaching? Laser gum depigmentation actively vaporises a very thin top layer of your gum tissue.
This effectively destroys the cells that produce melanin, which causes your gums to look dark).
The new gum tissue will then consequently form during the healing process, which will appear to be pink rather than brown.
As this is an easy and straightforward procedure, the recovery time is typically short with manageable discomfort.
This cosmetic treatment is not suitable for:
- Patients with dark gums caused by periodontal disease (non-surface pigmentation problems)
- Patients with thin gum tissue or obvious tooth roots
- Individuals taking blood thinners
Your most asked questions answered:
- Is gum depigmentation safe? This gum bleaching technique is completely safe – patients can trust and depend on the Bespoke Smile to carefully look after their smile.
- Is gum bleaching permanent? Yes! Only one single gum bleaching treatment can brighten your gums for more than 25 years, and in some cases, a lifetime. Incredible right? 8/10 patients do not require any follow-up appointments.
- Are there any laser gum depigmentation side effects? Many patients can expect zero side effects following gum bleaching. Those who have sensitivity issues can expect discomfort for a short period of time, but the patients we treat are often able to speak and eat as usual following their appointment.
- Is gum bleaching painful? It is in our professional opinion that the procedure is considerably painless, just like other cosmetic dental treatments, patients can expect slight discomfort, but nothing out of the ordinary. Just like a dental filling, we use a local anaesthetic to numb the area.
The treatment process:
Laser Gum Depigmentation vaporises a very thin layer from the top of the gum tissue.
This destroys the cells that produce melanin, and during the period of healing a new tissue is created that is pinker in colour rather than brown.
Recovery times are short and discomfort is manageable!
Depending on how you want your gums and smile to look, to achieve the right degree of lightning, several sessions may be required.
How long does the treatment take?
This cosmetic procedure is simple, fast and reported as pain-free.
Taking only around 20-45 minutes, a local anaesthetic will be administered to make the procedure feel as comfortable as possible.
Gum pigmentation removal cost
As the same with a lot of our incredible cosmetic procedures, gum depigmentation costs begin from £400 with some patients being able to pay only £40 a month to receive this miracle treatment.
What do you pay for?
The final bill will include your follow up and review appointments, which are usually conducted two-three weeks after the initial procedure.
On top of this, you can trust that the experience and expertise of our dentists are first-class, for example:
- Dr Sam Jethwa is a Director at the BACD (British Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry), which regulates ethical cosmetic dentistry within the industry
- Our dentists have provided miracle makeovers for thousands of patients
- We hand design and craft our own porcelain veneers so you can ensure that you are getting the best. View more.
- We’re an award-winning practice and have received many rewards
- Featured across the British media and press. View here.
- At our Bespoke Smile Academy, we teach other dentists and receive many referrals from other private practices that cannot accommodate cosmetic procedures
The Bespoke Smile based in Marlow is highly recognized as one of the top cosmetic dentists in the UK.
Having won the Best Practice of The Year Award (2020), we receive an influx of celebrity patients looking to makeover their smiles.
As leaders in the cosmetic industry, we are always furthering our education and passing on our knowledge to other dentists looking to grow in this field.
Trust no one else.
- Click here for our fee guide and costs
- Visit this link to see more examples of cosmetic before and afters
- Want to know more about our technology or experience? Find out more here.
- Spread the cost of treatments with interest-free payments here