Crooked and Misaligned Teeth
Last medically reviewed by Dr Sam Jethwa: October 15, 2020
The negatives of having crooked or misaligned teeth are usually limited to aesthetic appearances and personal self-esteem issues.
Often causing further problems concerning your oral health if left ignored, crooked teeth can not only have an effect on your mouth’s condition but appearance too.
We meet hundreds of patients and professionals every year with impacted self-esteem from the shape and structure of their teeth.
What causes crooked teeth?
There are many reasons why someone may suffer from squint or misaligned teeth including genetics or accidental damage and tooth loss.
For some people, bad habits they adopt as children e.g. sucking on a dummy or their thumb for too long can lead to crooked teeth.
Also, if dental trauma or tooth decay causes baby teeth to fall out sooner than they naturally would, the adult teeth may grow out of the gums squint.
What concerns does the issue bring?
If you have misaligned teeth you may be impacted by bite problems, which can wear down the teeth over time and cause you additional problems in the future.
By shifting the teeth into a different position you can protect them from becoming worn down.
On top of this, crooked teeth cases are often associated with infections like gum disease, which can encourage tooth loss and decay.
In this case, teeth straightening is a preventative measure to save you time and money in future dental appointments as well as protecting your natural teeth.
Immediate treatment solutions available
If you need to realign your teeth for oral health reasons, or you simply know you will feel happier once you target this issue, there are a few options to consider.
Some methods of teeth straightening include:
- Invisalign: The clear aligners are a great option because they provide fast, impressive results and your friends and family won’t even notice you are wearing a brace.
- Fixed braces: Fixed braces are permanently attached to your teeth for the duration of your treatment.
- Veneers: Thin, porcelain shells that are attached to the teeth.
How do I know if I should get veneers or braces?
If you are unsure what treatment method is most suited to your needs, book a free consultation meeting where one of our experienced and helpful team members can take the time to go over your wants and needs and guide you in reaching the best decision.
We will assist you in making the right decision for your oral health and budget. See: Fees.
Some of the main reasons why our patients often choose veneers over braces are:
- Timescale: Most people do not want to wait months for their new smiles, and although with braces we can usually guarantee results in 6-12 months, for veneers you can see huge changes in a matter of days.
- Appearance: As an adult, some people may feel embarrassed about wearing braces – regardless of how subtle they are. Although Invisalign is clear aligners, with veneers you avoid wearing a brace altogether.
- Multipurpose: Braces are manufactured to straighten teeth and with this comes filling gaps and realising your bite. However, veneers can alter the size, shape and colour of your teeth along with the width of your smile.
For the best results in Marlow, Buckinghamshire Bespoke Smile is your most reliable practice.
Although Bespoke Smile has openly been open for one year, our leading dentist Dr Sam Jethwa has been carrying out this type of work for over 8 years and his skill and dedication remains unrivalled.
Our practice remains in high demand, a result of the exceptional work we provide.
Additionally, we have been nominated for multiple 2020 Private Dentistry Awards including:
- Best New Practice – South
- Best Practice Brand and Design – South
- Best Team – South East
- Best Patient Care – South East
- The Practice of the Year – South East
Crooked teeth are a common problem across the UK, and many people have been lucky enough to get braces as a child so they don’t have to suffer from self-esteem issues as an adult.
If you are still affected by squint teeth, don’t wait any longer to address the problem.